- Paul Arteta was born in Orange County and grew up in Ulster County before later settling and raising his family in Orange County. Paul is married to his wife Lacey and has three children, Michael, Chelsea, and Alexandra. Residing in Orange County for over 27 years, he has previously served as the Town of Montgomery Deputy Town Supervisor from January 2019 through December 2019, taking no salary yet very committed to the betterment of his community.
- Paul Arteta is a 28-year veteran of the Orange County Sheriff’s Office. He began his career in 1992 as a Correction Officer assigned to the Orange County Jail at the Erie Street location. In 1994, he was promoted to the Patrol Division as a Deputy Sheriff. He has been assigned to the Courts Division, Road Patrol, and the Identification Unit, earning the prestigious title of Certified Fingerprint Expert for successfully identifying hundreds of fingerprints lifted from crime scenes. During his tenure with Orange County Sheriff’s Office, he has advanced through the ranks of Sergeant, Lieutenant, and then serving as Captain. Each promotion was earned through the successful completion of promotional Civil Service Examinations.
- He has instructed at the Orange County and Rockland County Police Academies for several years. Instructing such topics as Police Ethics and Crime Scene Preservation and Examination.
- From 2009 through 2013, he was assigned to the FBI Safe Streets Task Force, aiding in the successful dismantling of several of the most violent gangs who were terrorizing communities throughout the Hudson Valley. He and his partners in the task force developed a records management system used to track gang members data, that has been shared throughout the FBI task forces to enhance their capabilities.
- Promoted to Sergeant in 2004 and supervised the Patrol and Investigations Divisions.
- Collaboratively achieved the New York State Department of Criminal Justice Services Accreditation and the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies Accreditation (CALEA), and continued re-accreditation from both accreditation agencies 2005-present.
- Assigned to the FBI Safe Streets Task Force 2009-2013.
- In 2012, he attended and successfully completed the FBI National Academy, class #248, in Quantico, Virginia.
- Promoted to Lieutenant in 2013 and was responsible for the creation, development, and then commanding the newly formed Orange County Drug Task Force, collaborating with local police agencies to reduce the scourge of drug use and overdoses that were plaguing Orange County.
- Promoted to Captain in 2017 with oversight responsibilities for over 200 Civilian and Sworn Members of all road division activities including Civil, Investigations, Marine Patrol, Bike Patrol, and Narcotics.
Awards & Honors
- 1992 Life Saving Commendation
- 1996 Civil Deputy of the Year
- 1997 Civil Deputy of the Year
- 1997 Police Officer of the Year
- 1998 Officer of the Year
- 1999 Deputy of the Year
- 2000 Recognition of Service Award
- 2001 Lifesaving Award
- 2007 Meritorious Service Award
- 2009-2013 Special Recognition of Service from the FBI and DOJ
- 2013 Federal Drug Agents True American Hero Award
- From the beginning of Paul’s career, starting from the ground level and working his way up through the ranks, establishing a solid base and developing many relationships that will guide him towards his goal of someday overseeing operations at the Sheriff’s Office from the lead level. Successfully achieving many accomplished goals has been an essential part of his career, molding him into a leader who will effectively take the Orange County Sheriff’s Office into the 21st Century. The University of San Diego has placed the finishing touches that will provide him with innovative pedagogical methods to positively lead the agency and provide vital services to the communities served.
- Graduated Wallkill Senior High School 1986
- Graduated Rockland County Police Academy 1997
- Graduated Nyack College Bachelor of Science 1999
- Graduated FBI National Academy Class #248 in 2012
- Graduated University of San Diego Masters in Law Enforcement & Public Safety Leadership in 2020